Apply for your director ID
You need to apply for your own director ID. The fastest way to do this is online using the myGovID app to log in to ABRS online.
View this page in other languages
Before you start
You will need a myGovID with at least a Standard identity strength to apply for your director ID online. If you:
myGovID is different from myGov
- myGovID is an app. You download the myGovID app to your smart device. It helps you prove who you are and to securely log in to a range of government online services including myGov.
- myGov is an account. Your myGov account lets you link to and access government online services provided by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), Centrelink, Medicare and more.
Step 1 – Set up myGovID
To set up a myGovID with a Standard identity strength, you’ll need at least 2 of the following Australian identity documents that verify your identity:
- driver’s licence or learner’s permit
- passport (not more than 3 years expired)
- birth certificate
- citizenship certificate
- Medicare card
- visa (using your foreign passport)
Step 2 – Gather your documents
In addition to your myGovID, to apply online for your director ID, you will need to have information the ATO knows about you. This information must relate to you, personally, rather than to the company, registered Australian body, or registered foreign company of which you are a director.
You will need:
- your tax file number (TFN)
- your residential address as held by the ATO
- information from 2 documents to verify your identity.
Examples of the documents you can use include:
- bank account details
- an ATO notice of assessment
- APRA fund account details
- a dividend statement
- a Centrelink payment summary
- a PAYG payment summary (this is different to your income statement or your PAYG instalment activity statement).
When you have this information go to Step 3.
How to apply if you can't get a myGovID
If you can’t set up a myGovID with at least a Standard identity strength, or you don’t have the required Australian identity documents to apply online, how you apply depends on where you currently reside.
Find out how to apply if you:
- live in Australia
- live outside of Australia.