Apply for your director ID
You need to apply for your own director ID. The fastest way to do this is online using the myGovID app.
Step 1 – Set up myGovID
You will need a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength to apply for your director ID online.
If you live outside Australia and can’t get a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength, you will need to apply with a paper form and provide certified copies of your identity documents.
If you live in Australia and:
- don’t have a myGovID, you can find information on how to download the app at How to set up myGovID
- already have a myGovID, you can apply for your director ID now.
myGovID is different from myGov
- myGovID is an app. You download the myGovID app to your smart device. It lets you prove who you are and log in to a range of government online services, including myGov.
- myGov is an account. Your myGov account lets you link to and access online services provided by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), Centrelink, Medicare and more.
Step 2 – Gather your documents
You will need to have some information the ATO knows about you when you apply for your director ID:
- your tax file number (TFN)
- your residential address as held by the ATO
- information from two documents to verify your identity.
Examples of the documents you can use include:
- bank account details
- an ATO notice of assessment
- super account details
- a dividend statement
- a Centrelink payment summary
- a PAYG payment summary (this is different to your income statement, and/or your PAYG instalment activity statement).
Step 3 – Complete your application
Once you have a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength, and information to verify your identity, you can log in and apply for your director ID. The application process should take less than 5 minutes.