There are many ways to contact us for help with director identification number (director ID) and ABRS.
If you need additional support to contact us, see accessibility.
If you receive an error message when trying to apply for your director ID, try the following before contacting us:
- refresh the web page
- close your browser and log in to ABRS online again
- clear the temporary internet cache and cookies in your browser settings, close all open sessions, and log in to ABRS online again
- use another browser.
Quick ways to find information
High call volumes may lead to long wait times.
Some ways you can find information quickly are to:
- use the search function on this website to check whether the information you need is available
- check ATO Community for answers to questions people have asked about ABRS and director ID – if you can't find what you're looking for, you can also ask your own question
- check our Top questions when applying for a director ID.
Speak with a customer service representative
You can speak with a customer service representative for help with director ID and ABRS.
Before we can discuss your details or update your records, we must establish your identity.
You can phone us between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm Monday to Friday, unless a different time is listed in the enquiry type below.
Our busiest days are Mondays. Consider calling later in the week. If the time isn’t listed as Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT), the time is your local time.
On Australian national public holidays, our Australia contact centres are closed. With state public holidays, only those states affected will be closed.
Enquiry type and phone numbers
Establish your identity
Before we can discuss your details or update your records over the phone, we must establish your identity.
If you already have a director ID, have it ready when you phone us.
If you don’t have a director ID, we’ll ask you questions based on information from Australian Taxation Office (ATO) records that the Registrar is authorised to access, including information from third parties and other government departments. This may include:
- details from letters or notices we have issued to you
- information you have provided in a tax return
- details from accounts you hold with us such as payment or refund amounts
- information related to your interactions with us
- details of your employment, superannuation or investments you hold.
We may also:
- ask you to confirm details of identity documents such as your driver's licence, Medicare card or passport
- use your voiceprint to identify you (if you've enrolled your voiceprint with the ATO).
Write to us
If we’ve asked for you to write to us, use the address listed on the relevant form or communication. If you’re unsure the communication is from us, check Identity security and scams.
To write to us, you must be a primary or an authorised contact and include your:
- director ID, if applicable
- full name, date of birth, address and phone number
You can also write to us at:
Australian Business Registry Services
Locked Bag 6000
ALBURY NSW 2640
We don't usually make our email addresses available. We prefer you contact us in other ways listed above.
We may contact you by email in limited situations, like when we send general information.
For other types of enquiries, including media, ordering publications and reporting a scam, fraud or phoenix activity, visit the ATO contact us page.