There are many ways to contact us for help with director identification number (director ID) and ABRS.
If you receive an error message when applying for your director ID, try the following before contacting us:
- refresh the web page
- close your browser and log in to ABRS online again
- clear the temporary internet cache and cookies in your browser settings, close all open sessions, and log in to ABRS online again
- use a different browser.
Quick ways to find information
High call volumes may lead to long wait times.
Some ways you can find information quickly are to:
- use the search function on this website to check for the information you need
- check ATO Community for answers to questions people have asked about ABRS and director ID – If you can't find what you're looking for, you can also ask your own question
- check our Top questions when applying for a director ID
- view information in other languages.
Speak with a customer service representative
You can speak with a customer service representative for help with director ID and ABRS.
Before we can discuss or update your records, we must establish your identity.
You can phone us between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm Monday to Friday, unless we list a different time in the enquiry type below.
Our Australian contact centres close on Australian national public holidays. With state public holidays, only those states affected will close.
Enquiry type and phone numbers
Establish your identity
Before we can discuss or update your records over the phone, we must establish your identity.
If you already have a director ID, have it ready when you phone us.
If you don’t have a director ID, we’ll ask you questions based on your Australian Taxation Office (ATO) record. The questions will relate information that the Registrar has authorisation to access. This can include information from third parties and other government departments, such as:
- details from letters or notices we have issued to you
- information you have provided in a tax return
- details from accounts you hold with us, such as for payments or refunds
- information related to your interactions with us
- details of your employment, superannuation or investments.
We may also:
- ask you to confirm details of identity documents. For example, your driver licence, Medicare card or passport
- use your voiceprint to identify you (if you've enrolled your voiceprint with the ATO).
Write to us
If we’ve asked for you to write to us, use the address listed on the relevant form or communication. If you’re unsure the communication is from us, check Identity security and scams.
You can only write to us:
- about your own affairs
- if you are the primary or authorised contact for the person's affairs you are writing about.
You need to provide your:
- director ID, if applicable
- full name, date of birth, address and phone number
You can also write to us at:
Australian Business Registry Services
Locked Bag 6000
ALBURY NSW 2640
We don't usually make our email addresses available. We prefer you contact us in other ways listed above.
We may contact you by email in limited situations, like when we send general information.
For other types of enquiries, including media, ordering publications and reporting a scam, fraud or phoenix activity, visit the ATO contact us page.