Australian Business Registry Services
The Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS) will make it easier to register and update your business information with government.
View this page in other languages
What is a director ID?
A director ID is a 15-digit personal reference number. It is given to a director (or someone planning to become a director) after they have verified (proved) their identity with us.
Director IDs will help prevent the use of false or fraudulent director identities.
You must apply for your own director ID. You will only need to apply once. You keep your director ID forever, even if you:
- change companies
- stop being a director
- change your name
- move interstate or overseas.
In the future, your director ID will be linked to the companies you are a director of. This will make it easier for government regulators to trace directors’ relationships with companies over time.
Who needs to apply and when?
You need a director ID if you are a director, or will become a director, of:
- a company, a registered Australian body, or a registered foreign company under the Corporations Act 2001 (Corporations Act)
- an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation registered under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (CATSI Act).
Directors or corporate trustees of self-managed super funds are also required to apply for a director ID.
To find out more about who needs to apply, visit Who needs a director ID (in English).
You can apply for your director ID now if you:
- are already a director
- plan to become a director in the next 12 months.
If you are a director under the Corporations Act, the date by when you must apply for your director ID by depends on the date you become a director.
|Date you become a director||Date you must apply|
|Before or on 31 October 2021||By 30 November 2022|
|Between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022||Within 28 days of appointment|
|From 5 April 2022||Before appointment|
There are different dates for directors of corporations registered under the CATSI Act. To find out more, visit Who needs to apply and when (in English).
If you can’t apply for your director ID by the due date, you need to complete an Application for an extension of time to apply for a director ID (NAT75390, PDF, 271KB) (in English). If you have issues completing the form, contact us for assistance.
How to apply for your director ID
You must apply for your own director ID so you can verify your identity. No one can apply for you.
It's free to apply.
The fastest way to receive your director ID is to apply online by following the steps below.
Step 1 – Set up myGovID
You will need a myGovID with at least a Standard identity strength.
myGovID is different from myGov
myGovID is an app which you download to your smart device. The app lets you prove who you are to log in to a range of government online services, including myGov. For a Standard identity strength, you will need to enter your personal details and verify your identity using at least two Australian identity documents.
myGov is an account which lets you access online services for the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), Centrelink, Medicare and other government agencies.
If you live in Australia and:
- already have a myGovID, go to step 2
- don’t have a myGovID, you will need to set one up. Find out how at How to set up myGovID (in English)
- can only get a myGovID with a Basic identity strength, you can apply for your director ID by phone or with a paper form. To find out more visit, Apply for your director ID (in English).
Directors living outside Australia
If you live outside Australia and can only get a myGovID with a Basic identity strength, you will need to complete an Application for a director identification number (NAT75433, PDF, 651KB) (in English).
You will need to provide certified copies of your identity documents. Visit Verify your identity (in English) to find out more.
Step 2 – Get your identity documents ready
We will ask you questions so we can:
- verify your identity
- link your myGovID to your Australian Taxation Office (ATO) record.
When you apply, you will need:
- your tax file number (TFN)
- your residential address as recorded by the ATO
- information from two documents to verify your identity.
Visit Verify your identity (in English) to find out about:
- examples of the documents you can use to verify your identity
- information you will need to provide from those documents
- identity documents you will need to provide certified copies of if you are applying using the paper form.
Step 3 – Complete your application
If you have your myGovID and your identity documents, log in to ABRS online using the button below.
The application (in English) should take you less than 5 minutes to complete. You will instantly receive your director ID on screen when the application is finished.
What do I do with my director ID?
Once you have received your director ID, keep it safe until you need to use it. You can share it with your accountant, company secretary, ASIC registered agent or tax professional.
You don't have to give your director ID to ASIC now, unless you have been directed to. In the future, when the ASIC companies register is transferred to ABRS, your director ID will be linked to the companies you are a director of. We will keep you up to date with any changes that may affect you.
You can phone us between 8.00am and 6.00pm Monday to Friday.
- If you are in Australia, phone 13 62 50.
- If you are overseas, phone +61 2 6216 3440.
- Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) – You can speak to us in your preferred language by phoning TIS National on 13 14 50 between 8.00am and 6.00pm Monday to Friday. If you are calling from overseas, phone +61 3 9268 8332. The service will then call us with an interpreter, so we can help with your query.
- Call-back line – If we contact you by letter, email or phone, we may provide our call-back number and a PIN. Phone the number then, when asked, enter the PIN we gave you. This will make sure you’re connected with the right customer service representative.
- Call-back number within Australia 1300 306 275.
- Call-back number outside Australia +61 2 6216 3442 and ask to be connected to 1300 306 275.
Questions we may ask you
Before we can discuss your details or update your records, we must verify your identity.
We will ask you questions based on your tax or superannuation information, including information from third parties and other government departments.
This may include details from ATO letters or notices that have been issued to you, details from a tax return, or other information that will help us verify your identity.
Write to us
You can write to us at:
Australian Business Registry Services
Locked Bag 6000
ALBURY NSW 2640